Wednesday, January 27, 2010

What has TV become?


I am almost twenty-two years old and let me start by saying that the amount of changes in technology as I know it has not stopped changing. From box phones to smart phones, the Diskman to iPods, big boxed TVs to enormous flat screens, but when is it going to end? While I subconsciously hope that advances in technology come to an end, I am living in complete denial thinking people are going to stop trying to invent new ways to interact with the media.

One thing that I was not expecting to see anytime soon was this...an integrated LCD display into a mirror. The "Mirror TV", is it really necessary to be watching TV while looking in the mirror? According to an article titled, Mirror Mirror, what's on TV? "The Mirror TV is an important step forward for consumer technologies, and for Philips," said Dr. Gottfried Dutiné, CEO of Philips Consumer Electronics, "From a technology perspective, the Mirror TV craftily combines two important everyday functionalities; it's also an early example of the Philips vision of Ambient Intelligence in that the 'technology' is embedded and easy to use".

My response: REALLY? I still don't see how or why that is necessary. I already feel as though TV consumes way too much time in our lives, but to add at TV to the mirror in my room so that way when my back is turned away from the TV so that I can still watch, that's just preposterous. It is bad enough that on some days of the week I'm spending more than 2 hours watching television shows, but to add that as apart of my daily routine of getting ready in the morning? Or while going to the bathroom? It's just sickening to me.

Researchers keep telling society that too much TV watching is bad for people, and playing video games are bad for kids. This makes people in society lazy, unhealthy, dangerous, pretty much nothing positive about it, but yet creating TVs that can be displayed in your mirrors, its as if technology can never escape you. I'm not saying I don't enjoy TV, because I love watching my favorite shows. I watch them with my friends and family and its a great form of bonding with them as well as relaxing with a leisure activity, however, I do not support having a TV anywhere else but where it is supposed to belong, whatever that might mean.

I didn't realize I had such a strong opinion about TV considering I watch a serious amount of it weekly, but I watch it when I'm in the living room with my roommates and I fall asleep to my TV on. Otherwise I don't just sit and watch it to watch it, I would much rather be doing more beneficial activities then sitting on the couch watching TV where I am most likely going to be snacking. I like coming home after a long day and having finished my homework, my roommates and I go downstairs and sit and watch TV as a form of relaxing, I don't see how having a TV in the mirror with me as I get ready in the morning a form of relaxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment