Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Lost in Technology


I have been awful. I have no idea what has gotten into me, but it seems that I have not blogged in weeks, which is absolutely unacceptable. I realize that with a few days left before spring break I am going to have to do an excessive amount of blogging on topics that have already been put in the past, however, I am going to revisit them anyways.

For starters, I would like to discuss this new Mobile TV thing technicians have developed. I think that it is absolutely crazy. I did not even have to read an article online to tell you how I feel about this new advancement. I think its absolutely ridiculous that people are able to watch television on their cell phones. This topic has come up a lot in class and I still do not understand how people are enjoying this. I think television is meant to be watched at home, in a comfortable "family room" like setting, preferably with others. Does not matter really the situation, I just do not believe TV should be watched from one's cell phone.

I think people have gotten so caught up in technology that they have forgotten the hidden meanings of entertainment. They are supposed to provide a sense of togetherness, a shared experience, as we discussed in class, however, walking around with your cell phone as you watch the MTV Music Awards does not give you that same shared experience as it would if you sat and watched that program with your friends. No more are people getting together to watch a movie or TV shows, however times are different and people's schedules are much more hectic, but still, TV is a time of relaxing and bonding. Instead, watching TV has become routine for some, especially during their forty-five minute commute to work everyday on the train.

I do not see myself watching television on my cell phone anytime soon, in fact, I hope that such an offer is not even available on my phone. I refuse subject myself to becoming one of those people who would rather watch TV on the go than sit and enjoy the opportunity to watch a favorite show with friends or family.

No comments:

Post a Comment