
So there is this new Vizio TV that allows you to have VIA (Vizio Interactive Applications) at the bottom of your screen. This is something we just discussed in class and I am still having a hard time adjusting to our new technology. This TV allows you to have applications on your screen like you would an iPhone or iPad. For example, you can access Twitter, Facebook, Ebay, Pandora, or even Amazon just from your TV screen, while still being able to watch your program.
My initial reaction was extremely negative. I mean, come on! Is this really necessary? Like I said in class, soon enough people will be able to prepare dinner through your television, its is absolutely insane. And I am not one for new technology, I think things to remain somewhat simple and not chaotic, but that is not the kind of future that lies ahead and it is frustrating.
However, after discussing this topic in class, I started to appreciate the idea more, because someone raised a good point. If you are sitting watching a movie with your parents and you want to know where that actor is from or what other movies he has been in before this one, all you have to do is click on your application and there your answer is right there in front of you, literally. So there is definite convience for this new type of television, however, it could create some sort of problem in other areas. For example, if I am sitting and watching a show with a friend and a commercial comes on, she could easily go on her facebook account and look at new posts while I am trying to watch tv. No one wants to see someone else's facebook wall while I am trying to watch a show. No chance! So in that sense, this new tv could easily pose some problems within the sharing community.
Not to mention, the TV which is something that people sit and watch to avoid a hectic life and to just sit back and relax, will not be able to avoid such things. Facebook, twitter, amazon, and whatever else you have an application for will be taking over your tv screen and will interfere when you least would like it to. I am having such mixed feelings about this new tv, but I wanted to vent about it. I think this new technology is somewhat cool, but I have no interest in being apart of it. It just seems like another thing to make our society more lazy. You never have to get up off the couch to do something. Aside from making dinner, the tv is going to excersize for you too. UGH. I am overwhelmed with new technology and while it is extremely cool and exciting to see what comes out next, it is also really intense and is making us all robotic and I am not a fan.
No comments:
Post a Comment