Thursday, February 18, 2010

2010 Olympics



The 2010 Winter Olympics have taken off to a great start. With 15 total metals so far, we are in first place, go USA! Since the Olympics have started, I have watched a good amount it and have enjoyed seeing all the participants win the Gold metals, but apparently I am one of the only ones who felt that I was watching it all for the first time. To some, they had already heard who won the metals without even being able to see the actually sport, but why is that? According to Michael Rosenberg from SI.com, "Lindsey Vonn had won gold in the women's downhill hours before NBC primetime coverage began". Well, that's not good.

Apparently, NBC has been delaying coverage from the Winter Olympics which is upsetting many fans. This is I get. I know for me when I'm watching a favorite show and even when it is delayed or I have TIVOed it and everyone else already knew what happened, it can be really frustrating and annoying when I have to hear what everyone else says about it. However, the Olympics are a live sporting event, so to hear the results without actually seeing the sport can be really upsetting and frustrating to serious fans. In fact, it really sucks when you find out the ending result without actually watching it, but why is this happening? It is 2010 and there should not be problems of delay time with the way technology is today.

"The U.S. just had its best night in Winter Olympic history, which should have been awesome entertainment, and it was pretty cool, except ... it wasn't really the best night the U.S. ever had", said Rosenberg. Unfortunately, for some they already knew of the outcome without actually having seen the event, and with it being a live event, that makes it even more upsetting. I just don't get it because like Rosenberg says, with media now we can learn of an actor's thoughts on Twitter, everyone's family member is on Facebook, but somehow we cannot seem to get the Olympics to be aired live without having such a delay. If we are always making technology advances then why is it that events and programs are still delayed?

No comments:

Post a Comment