Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Jersey Phenomenon

So what started out being a silly show with a similar concept of MTV's The Real World, The Jersey Shore has really taken over the lives of many viewers. "The self-described “guidos” and “guidettes” have come under heavy fire as promoting negative stereotypes — not only of Italian-Americans, but also of New Jersey and its celebrated shore. But the stars said they don’t pretend to be role models". According to Sami "Sweetheart" and Mike "The Situtation", they are not trying to represnt anybody, but just trying to be themselves.

Of the 5 million viewers that tune into MTV on Thursday nights, I am proud to say I am one of them. I find the show to be absolutely entertaining and hysterical. However, I can understand why a lot of Italian-based groups have taken offense to this type of programming, because this cast of characters have not produced such a positive name for their culture. But who doesn't love the "G.T.L." aka: Gym, Tanning, Laundry, the hair extensions, the fist pumping, the alcohol, hook ups, and even Snooki's hair poof? Everyone does, except for the Italian-Americans. The National Italian American Foundation "has issued a statement expressing "continued concerns" about the hit MTV show, specifically in the way it depicts Italian Americans. Joseph V. Del Raso, NIAF President, said the show's characters have "more in common with the adolescent residents of Animal House than with Italian Americans."

Even though I am not Italian and do not consider myself a "Guidette" I can easily see how this show might be offensive, however, this is what brings in the ratings. Unfortunately, this is what entertainment has become. Especially for this age group who can relate to the crazy nights of partying and random sex, such as college kids. Not to mention, the lingo is really catchy, and who doesn't want to start fist pumping in a club on campus?

It is shows like this that have pushed our society to be less communel when it comes to watching shows with family. This is a show I can promise neither of my parents would ever sit down and watch with me, as least willingly. In terms of having a fun show to add to the list of TV during the week, The Jersey Show has brought great entertainment and my friends and I are constantly quoting and raving about the cast. In fact, hearing that they are coming back for a second season is very exciting, I just hope it happens while I am still at school. Otherwise I don't really see myself continuing to watch this show alone at home with none of my friends, it just does not have the same impact. Plus, when I come home from school, I like to watch shows with my family and I know that The Jersey Shore will not be making that list.

No comments:

Post a Comment