
To have your commercial advertised during the Superbowl is a big deal, in fact, its usually the reason why I watch the Superbowl, unless of course the Chicago Bears are in playing in it. Unfortunately, that is not the case this year, but I am still excited to see the halftime show along with all the commercials.
Although I am not either a Colts or Saints fan, I am excited to engage in the Superbowl Sunday activities along with the rest of my friends. In class recently, we were discussing the idea of communal media and how watching shows are not the same as they once were where everyone is sitting around one TV in their house all watching the same show, however, we cannot say the same this day in age. However, on days like Superbowl Sunday, you can gaurentee the communal setting will be back. Like I mentioned before I am not either team's fan, however, I still fully expect to particpate in watching the game and all the activities with my friends. Whether my friends and I head to a local bar to watch the game with tons of other people or we will find a friends house to all sit around a big TV and watch the game. Either way, I will not be watching it alone.
According to Phil Rosenthal from the Chicago Tribune, "Super Sunday is often called the nation's undeclared national holiday. It's an orgy of excess. It's the day when we come together to eat, drink and watch TV with the promise we can take our minds off the troubles of our everyday lives, even if we can't tell the New Orleans Saints from the Indianapolis Colts or the "Undercover Boss" from the Who".
He's right. Superbowl Sunday is somewhat its own holiday and will be celebrated like one, especially if your team is playing and your team wins. The streets will be flooded with fans, both drunk and sober, and if the Colts win, I can promise that Indiana's campus will be filled with screaming fans. Unfortunately, when the Bears and Colts played my freshman year of college in the Superbowl, Colts fans were everywhere and the bars were packed like crazy.
It will be nice to find that communal setting again because it very rarely is there. I am very excited to watch the game with my friends along with others that I do not know but share the same interests, whether its for one of the teams or the halftime show and or commercials, does not matter. Either way, it will be a great opportunity to kick back and hang out with friends while watching a very exciting game. I wonder who will win, my vote: The Saints.
No comments:
Post a Comment