


Not even a week after Glee returned back for its second season, the polls were in that its viewers increased from 7.3 million viewers to 13.7 million viewers, according to the Times Columnist. The article also suggests that the show has "position[ed] the TV show for a move from cult fan status to mainstream hit" which is something we have discussed many times in class, especially recently.
As a HUGE fan of the show, these numbers don't surprise me. Glee is absolutely an amazing show and I have turned so many people on to watching it now. Although, I admit I randomly throughout the first season caught a couple of episodes but was so behind I couldn't keep up. Once the season was over, one of my roommates and I started watching some online and then caved and bought the entire season on DVD. We watched the entire season in no time at all. In fact, when I went home for a weekend, I dragged my parents out to Borders, bought the season on DVD and the three of us sat in together all day and night and watched all the episodes. Now, they are just as big of fans.
It is truly amazing what this show has done. Not only has it received increased ratings, but you are constantly able to engage in things from Glee. For example, I already bought two of the albums from iTunes and have them on my iPod. I also have purchased new songs randomly from iTunes since the season has started. I have even looked into getting tickets to see Glee on tour. It is absolutely crazy the amount of things you can do with just the songs from Glee. This is stuff we have talked a lot about recently in regards to fan culture from the fan perspective as well as the business or networks' perspective. There are so many opportunities to involve yourself with a show even when the show is not on TV.
This show may not be the number one show on the air, but I still love it and rave to everyone I know about it. It is so refreshing to see such a fun, non-complicated, and just straight funny show to be on the air. Not to mention, it is so entertaining, especially if you love music-which I do.
The article from the Times Columnist is titled "Cult hit Glee hits Mainstream" and it is true. What was once just a cult of specific and limited fans has now become a mainstream hit where people of all ages are learning to love this show. I just cannot wait for the Madonna episode to come out tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment