
With the opportunity to watch almost any movie or TV show on the internet, people will start to pay less and less for all those television stations they are paying for now. Including the channels they have never even watch but still have to pay each month for. One website that is really taking a toll on people's cable bills is Netflix. An analyst said, "with Netflix’s recent studio distribution deals including access to television shows, the online DVD rental pioneer’s vaunted streaming service could entice subscribers to opt away from monthly cable bills".
People are going to be less willing to pay for cable subscriptions as well as even renting movies from the video store because accessing movies and TV shows has become so easy no one is going to want to spend that money to do so. From new released movies to old movies to foreign films to last week's sit com episode, online streaming has become so popular that analysts are convinced that sales will be going down in DVD sales. Also, Netflix will be increasing the number of episodes and movies that it will have on its website which will give viewers who subscribe the opportunity to watch it immediately. That's also another thing, anyone who pays at least $8.99/month or greater gets the opportunity to stream all these things right to their computer or even television. "With Netflix offering free streaming to any subscription plan that is $8.99/month or greater, we believe [it] could easily begin to eat into the estimated $66 billion [cable] market for basic and premium home subscriptions,” Eric Wold with Merriman Curhan Ford in New York wrote in a note.
I know for me, streaming shows has never been something I've been apart of, however, when I have to watch movies for my Spanish class I joined Netflix so I could have easy access to these movies and watch them as I please. I don't see myself continuing my subscription after this semester, but I do agree that people won't be as willing to pay for all those unused cable channels or even think going to the local video store necessary to rent a movie. Instead, they will turn to sites like Netflix or HuLu to watch the latest episode or stream a movie right to their home.
No comments:
Post a Comment